Tuesday 30 August 2011

Week 07 – Collaboration


Wednesday August 31, 2011

 
Today we did a group exercise where we were to step forward if we were comfortable admitting that we were a part of a series of questions or they applied to us, for example:
Are you Working Class?
Have you ever cried sometime this year?
We then had to analyse how we felt about ourselves and also our peers stepping forward to certain personal questions.

 
Group Exercise

 
Acknowledging Differences – CROSSING THE LINE

 

 
Reference (image above): crossing the line

 
• 10 mins: Instructions
• 15 mins: Participation
• 10 mins: Blog
• 1. Write about your feelings
I found some of the questions becoming quite personal and had a small reluctance to step forward on those that applied to me. This was a result of feeling like I didn’t know my classmates well enough as my family and friends. Once I noticed them move forward on sensitive topics I was able to put my embarrassment on the line and make my move forward more comfortable and with pride.

 
• 2. Write about how you think other people felt
I think the others shared similar reluctance to step forward on the sensitive topics and some questions they didn’t understand fully so they refrained from stepping forward.

 
• 3. Write about how the exercise helps you understand and accept differences
Once we all moved forward on an embarrassing question we gained more respect for each other and became more comfortable to portray our own choice, differences and situations.

 
Give examples (from the exercise or your own life) for all 3 topics above
When the question was asked: “Do you have a learning disability?” I was the only one who stepped forward. Even though I have not been told I have a learning disability I find I am not able to soak in information under certain circumstances.

 
My classmates had a puzzled look on their faces and it looked like they were surprised to find me having a learning disability as I often contribute outspokenly to the class content.

 
Josie then thought it was my colourblindness to which I had totally forgot about but was very true. I accepted that being colourblind was definitely a learning disability but I have learnt to make do so it didn’t not even enter my thoughts when I stepped forward.

 

 
Blog Exercise (cont.) – 15 mins
Professional discretion and judgement may relate to:
• assessing when to keep quiet
• being aware of and responding to different personality types
• knowing when it is appropriate or inappropriate to share information
• knowing with whom information should be shared

 
  • Add 2 items to the list above
  • Respecting everyone regardless of your views
  • Being aware of cultural backgrounds and social origins,
 
  1. Give a REAL example from your own experience to illustrate all 6 points

 
FACEBOOK

 

 
Reference (image above):Facebook logo

 

 
My actions and comments

      Assessing when to keep quiet – When someone on my friend list posts their heartfelt view on Pit bull Terriers being non violent dogs with a placid nature

 
      Being aware of and responding to different personality types – There has been times when I know a person has low self esteem and I have a really cool or funny comment to write but not using it in case it came off as offensive

 

 
      Knowing when it is appropriate or inappropriate to share information
I have about 1200 friends on facebook whom I all know for some reason or another and some I am close to, some I am not. I generally will not post comments on my status on what I am up to or how I am feeling because I don’t want all those people to know every aspect of my daily life.
      Knowing with whom information should be shared
      If I know information about another person shared in confidence about another person on the same friend list I will refrain from sharing that information if it is for the right moral reasons or if it is none of my business

 
Respecting everyone regardless of your views - I try to share information along the guidelines of good morals so I don’t offend the majority of friends on my list who might see it. In reality, at least one person may be offended but that is life.

 
      Being aware of cultural backgrounds and social origins – Anything that makes me feel bad with an open mind, is going to disrespect others more so than something that is light-hearted. I tend to steer clear of generalizing on race and culture yet I will joke about stereotypes in a light-hearted fashion if it is deemed appropriate.

 

 
  1. What is the difference between discretion and judgement? in your own words?
Discretion is knowing how and when to be respectful and judgement is using the skills based on your knowledge to implement this.

 
4. Why do you use these two things in a professional setting?
(explain by using examples)
Discretion can be used when designing a poster unique to a certain culture you would make sure you check with that culture or a member of that group whether or not your design is respectful of their representation.
Using the right judgment in the design industry relies on your knowledge of moral values and gaining an understanding of anything strange or uncertain you would like to explore before designing something new.

 

 

 
YouTube Clip

 
Positive Action Themes: Respecting Others' Ideas

 

 

 
Commentary
This clip is taken from a primary school class where the basis of our learned behaviour comes from. There are two scenarios within the video: the right way and the wrong way to respect each others’ ideas. These are acted out. The video clip is clear, concise and educative. Its very good that kids learn this at an early age.

 
Reflection

 
Today’s class was successful in finding out a lot about our classmates and learning lessons on judgment simultaneously. Many pre-judgments we had about certain aspects of our classmate’s lives were changed or outlined in our group exercise. I learnt to be proud of who I am and what I represent by stepping forward in front of semi-strangers. This was strengthened by taking a risk, becoming vulnerable and seeing our classmates do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment